Sunday, April 24, 2011

Chapters 7 & 8

"Art as I see it, is any human activity which doesn't grow out of either of our species two basic instincts: survival and reproduction."

I really like this definition of art because it is broad enough to encompass almost everything that could be considered art by any one. The examples in the text go further to say that anything done from emotions or boredom is art, from drawing to dancing to singing. My own definition of art is similar, anything that someone creates is art. I am always creating and therefore always artistic. I love to create and therefore I call myself and artist. 

I like the ideas presented that art and survival go hand in hand. An artist still cares about survival and someone surviving still creates art on a regular basis. The individual actions not used for survival or reproduction are art, and by this definition we can find art in every aspect of life. 

The idea that some art is used as a tool and some is used for the purpose of itself is also quite interesting. I have found that as I grow as an artist what I really want is to use my skills to convey points of others, and get paid to do so. Art for its own sake is pure and beautiful, but is not the path to financial success I'm afraid. I think what a person decides to do with their art is up to them, and each person's use of their talent is a true tell of their personality. I for one, love change. I love progression and improvement in my life always, and it speaks to my character that I would want to use skills to portray ideas instead of the "pure" art idea talked about in chapter 7. I envy the artist who can simply portray what they want for themselves, but I honestly find that unless I am given a business proposal or assignment I am sort of lost as to what to create 

No comments:

Post a Comment