Monday, April 4, 2011

Response to Lecture

The concept of self identity and classification was explored in lecture today through artists that were incredibly interesting to me. Albert Chong categorizes himself with his race and national origin of jamaica. Many of his works depict his religion of Santeria, and his home of Jamaica. I like the technique he used to layer photographs so that they appeared to be 3d images even though they were just layers of 2d images. His portraits and works are not abstract, but are foreign to me because I do not know much about his culture or country. Seeing his works really interested me and I want to learn more about where he comes from.

I am also interested in the 3 components of the portrait: the subject, artist, and relationship between the two. A portrait can be seen in many different ways, even though I have often thought of a portrait as a straight on head shot like the Mona Lisa. Portraits have always been a common interest for artists because it not only can a portrait be of the artist but also of anyone who commissioned a work of themselves. I like the way that Albert Chong's portraits are unlike any I have ever seen, using parts of his body and objects that are foreign to some but have an aesthetic that is very cohesive.

No comments:

Post a Comment