Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Embarrassing Moment

The most embarrassing moment of my life could have been featured in Mean Girls or any other teenage drama movie. It is so stereotypically horrid that it would happen to me, because as I suspect, G-d is laughing at me always. So try to retain your laughter, or not. Here I go:




I was trained as a competitive dancer. I have been competing for 13 years, all of which have been a nice blur of costumes, shoes, make-up, crying, laughing, winning and losing. My sophomore year of high school we did one of my favorite dances to Feeling Good by Nina Simone. It was a heart felt, energetic dance with beige costumes-velvet booty shorts and lace tops. There is always a lull time when you are all dressed and ready to go, they have called your dance to be performing in about 15 minutes and you are stretching with your team mates trying to fight your nerves. At this time my friend Shelby points at me and says, "Darce, are you on your period?"
To which I reply, "uhhhhh Am I?!!"
Yes. Yes I was on my period, and it had gone through my shorts. My tiny, beige, velvet shorts. This was a good 5 minutes before my number went on so I obviously went into a state of mental panic and ran into the bathroom. My dance teacher had to wash my tights and shorts as I cleaned myself up in the bathroom, all in record time because I was supposed to be performing in now 2 minutes and my first move is a leap and a kick which leaves me crotch forward to the judges in the audience. When we got everything clean I run out of the bathroom and the entire studio was waiting for me, and  wondering if I was ok to go on stage. I was, and it was the most embarrassing moment of my life. I performed and everything was fine, and the judges had no idea how mortified I was.

No comments:

Post a Comment