Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Senior Art Show- Myth/Medium

Michael Powell did a senior exhibition in the CCS gallery earlier tonight, which I went to go see. The show was about his interest in the connection between a seen object or image and the medium or material that facilitates the perception of that image or object.
These works were large, each about 3x4 feet and had many different materials. The backgrounds of most of the works looked like very magnified, reflected light. Many times the image would have plastic with smudged paint over it, to create a 3D esque image. I must say while I liked the concept of the show, I did not quite understand how the idea and the pictures correlated. It looked like the pictures had a digital influence, and were in my opinion aesthetically pleasing. One picture that I enjoyed was of a grungy, black and white digitized boy, but instead of a face was refracted light that looked like it had every CMYK color in it. I stared at that piece trying to find the meaning, until I decided that the funkiness of the picture maid up for my lack of understanding for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment