Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Lecture:The Body

Yesterday's lecture really impacted me, so much that I really had nothing to say when I ate dinner with a bunch of friends right after. Mapplethorpe was really an artist who pushed the boundaries of what is acceptable in art in terms of connotation and nudity. The focus on black men and their stereotypes got to me because I of course like everyone else associate black men with those stereotypes as well. Famous actors like Samuel L Jackson and Bill Cosby who play into those stereotypes by taking those roles are not to blame, but all of this is fuel to the racial fire. 

Sam or Tehching Hsieh is really who stunned me during yesterday's lecture. Seeing a man's entire year flash before my eyes was quite haunting, and the dark mundane imagery of the video did not help at all. One of the scarier things about that video was the hands on the clock spinning extremely fast in juxtaposition with his facial expression that never changed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment