Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Free Form 1

I can't help but wonder if I am going to be homesick when I go abroad in a couple weeks. I am going to Sydney Australia from June 7th-December 20th. That is almost 6 months across the world and I have never been away from home for that long.

When I was younger I used to go to camp for a month every summer, starting at age 5. That is pretty ridiculous to go to Maine when you are that little alone to camp and I never once got homesick. I was such a little trooper and I wonder if I will be able to hold onto those brave feelings now that I am older and have a better sense of time...

Australia is so far away and I know it will be just like going to college again, but Santa Barbara is just a 4 hour car ride from my home now. Australia is a 13 hour flight at least and I will be over in a country that is new to me by myself.

I must say the other side of this, that I have never been more excited for anything in my life. While I understand that I will miss everyone at home I also understand that I will come back and everything will have stayed the same. Nothing will have changed in my sorority and nothing will have changed in IV, honestly. Things will have progressed but it all cycles back to the fact that a year later in UCSB, the only thing that has changed is me. I get older and things become apparent to me that were not obvious before, and my relationships with others change depending on the experiences we have together. I know that I will come back from my time abroad changed for the better and it scares me that I will be more than half way done with my college experience when I come back. I guess time does fly after high school and I just have to accept that I am maturing and life is passing me by.

No comments:

Post a Comment