Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Response to Lecture 5/16


Laurel Nakadate is an extremely interesting artist to me because she uses others for her art by putting herself in a position to be used. She takes men off the street or Craig's List and gets into a position with them where they are both exposed and their desire for her is very clear. I wonder how she has the balls to do this. I honestly don't get it because I get freaked out when men who are even 5 years older than me or so hit on me. It honestly gives me the chills and all I can do is say something snappy to them and remove myself from the situation. Laurel takes the lurking feelings these men have for her and exposes them to the public. She uses her attractive body to get them to show themselves off, which is in my opinion crossing a line between humorous and sad. It really is an unusual situation because she makes us wonder, "Who is using who?" The cyclical thinking lies in the fact that she is using them to get what she wants and they are using this opportunity to see her naked. While I would not be personally comfortable doing this, I commend her for shifting the standards in who is using who.

No comments:

Post a Comment