Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Response to Lecture

Calvin and Hobbes turns out to be my favorite Comic. I have every book of it at home and I used to read them all the time as a child. Lecture honestly just make me miss Calvin and Hobbes and made me want to go home to the bay area to pick up the books and read them from cover to cover.





 I never really thought about the integrity of a comic and how Calvin and Hobbes had not been marketed. There are a lot of strips from Watterson that are comical and poke fun at children, but there are also a lot of strips that are serious where Calvin and Hobbes ponder the meaning of life together. There are also a lot of strips about the parent-child relationship in the ever going story. I respect Watterson's fight against the marketing of his strip and his desire to express his actual ideologies in his work. This comic is indeed art and until yesterday's lecture I failed to see it that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment