Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Response to Lecture


This year especially, I have really begun to appreciate spoken word as an art form. One of the reasons I love dance so much is because it fuels my need to constantly emote and act. I am an extremely emotional person in the sense that I don't think emotions are something that should be hidden from those around you and I basically wear my heart on my sleeve. I think spoken word is a way of intentionally letting someone into your thought process, but instead of just admitting something to them like you are talking to a friend its more of a performance. In this way, with practice, emotions and  the way they are emoted can be controlled and tweaked to become the exact performance you want to put on, just like a dance routine.
 Beau Sia inspired me to put my emotions on paper and perform them for the narrative project. I should have practiced more, I was not aware at how nervous I would get reciting my poem until after it was done. I am normally really good at public speaking but I think since this particular subject meant so much to me I rushed it a bit. I really would like to get more into spoken word after seeing the live performance of Beau, and I know for sure that I will take the personal narrative and spoken word classes after yesterday. I think spoken word is extremely powerful and I would like to become a part of the scene so to speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment